Last week we went to Don's last race of the season. The race is called LOTOJA. Logan, UT to Jackson Hole, WY in one day. At 206 miles it is the longest race he does. Don won his group & had the fastest time in his class at 9 hours 34 minutes. That puts him in an elite group of riders. That is a huge deal. He did so good! He races Cat. 5 and there were about 150 racers in that catagory. They break them into groups of 50 so they don't all start at once. So you are really competing against just your group of 50 but he beat all the Cat. 5's times in all the groups. Overall, out of the 1300 men racing he ended up about 40th. That means he beat a lot of professionals too. How exciting!
I got to go along to hand him the mussette bags of food at 5 of the feed zones as he zipped by. There were a few stressful moments because it was all I could do to hurry to the next feed zone so I didn't miss him. We had a lot of fun.
In the picture Don is the first guy crossing the line (in black). He out sprinted the little pelaton he finished with. Very cool! There is a guy who is finishing 4th or so raising his hands like he won. I think he was just excited to finish. It is actually a huge deal just to finish because of the torture you put your body through. I couldn't do it.

2 comments:
Wow that is so awesome!! Congratulations Don, you're amazing.
Yeay! Don told us what a big deal it was for him to let you blog about him. But I'm glad you did! He is amazing. I she couldn't have finished the race!!!
Post a Comment