Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam

This past Sunday was Hans' first week as a Sunbeam. We have been trying to prepare him for this new change. I was playing the piano for primary so I got to watch him a little bit.
The Sunbeams all got to go up on the stage & have the Jr. Primary sing "Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam". I couldn't really look up from the piano to watch but I am sure Hans loved it. We had already practiced singing it that morning. When the song was over Hans didn't want to sit down. He decided he would sit on the chairs that the presidency sit on up on the stage. With a little coaxing he finally stood up & walked up to the side of the pulpit & stood while the Primary Pres. was doing her talk. I bribed him with chocolate milk if he sat with his class. It didn't work. What seemed like forever probably was just a few moments but with the help of his teacher he finally sat down by her. My view was a little bit blocked by the pulpit so I didn't get to see him too much more but I did hear him yell out song requests (even during talks) a few times- "I want to sing I am a Child of God".
The report I got out of him about class was something like this "suddenly our teacher RAN out of the door & we were really really sad. We hid under the tables & chairs." He also said they played a game, something about a dog & a bone. Oh, & he was wearing a crown afterward that he called his "princess hat". I think he had a fun time. Sister Wheeler will be an awesome teacher. I will just appologize ahead of time for any misbehavior. (Sorry Wendy) I will blame it on Don because he is known for making a few primary teachers cry. I am sure I was perfect in primary.
Just as a side note... The primary room is the same room that Don & I attended primary when my family moved out to the Valley. It is where Don & I first met. I think I was in Sunbeams. Don't worry, last week the only other girl in Sunbeams that I could see was Hans' cousin Allie.

5 comments:

Lauren said...

I thought he did great! I was sitting in the back so I could see everybody. He was cracking me up.. just sitting up on the stand like he owned the place. I think that when they have their lesson they must go together. Cuz Allie was telling me that Hans bonked his head and cried... so I don't know maybe she was making up stories but she said she was with him in her class. Either way singing time should be a hoot!

The Wheelers said...

Dog bones and princess hats? Geesh, they'll let anyone be a primary teacher! I always wonder what sunbeams go home and tell their parents. Here's some more about Hans first day of Sunbeams:

Our first agenda was to sing, "I am a Child of God." This was pre-planned. I think Hans must be very spiritually in tune and sensed this during opening exercises -thus the outbursts. I was impressed he knows all the words. Later he helped me tell the story of baby Moses by moving the basket down the river. At snack time he sat there very quietly holding his "baby Moses" (hotdog in a breadstick blanket). I asked him if he didn't want to eat it, and he shook his head. (Perhaps, we'll stick to crackers next week.) We did a finger play where they hug themselves at the end and Shandon got a little exuberant and tackle-hugged Hans. Hans cried for a little while. So we played the dog bone game (though it had nothing to do with the lesson) and he was smiling again. That was probably the "really really sad" part. His descriptions are brutally honest. We did make "princess hats", though that term was for Allie's benefit. And I did RUN out after class to catch a parent I forgot to give a primary CD to. Hans and Shandon were giggling under the table when I got back. But, Hans is a good boy -and so cute. I'm glad to be his teacher!

hillari said...

what a funny kid! It sounds like he did great.

The Reese's said...

It's so fun when they go to Primary for the first time! Sydney has been so excited! They think they are so big now!

Michele Anderson said...

I can't believe Hans and Will are already in Sunbeams! It sounds like Hans has quite the head start as William doesn't quite know any songs yet. Something we'll have to work on, I guess:)