Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Sad Day

I know everyone probably has a million pictures of the church but this is for our history so I am posting a few that I have. It was a sad day to see this happen. Our family has a lot of history here in this building. Gpa Whitney & Waymire helped in building it. Gpa Whitney & Alma both served as Bishop. Don & I were both baptized here, along with many other relatives. Don & I met in Sunbeams here too. Ordinations, performances, blessings, funerals & so many other things. It was sad as we watched Scott & Kayde in the excavators tearing it down.
When I told Hans what had happened this morning he wanted to know how we were going to get the water to put the fire out. Then he told me the building was going to crash down on the trucks & cars. By then they already had the road closed so Hans was right on top of things.
I think this first picture is one Jessica took.
The fire was still going in the very far right corner of this picture but it is hard to see. I never did get around to the back where the fire started to take a picture. If you look at the far right palm tree the picture of the sacred grove that was in the lobby is leaning against it.

3 comments:

ShEiLa said...

This is so sad.

Like you have said, So many memories. My wedding reception was here. (many moons ago) I am getting so old.

Tony made the comment that although he didn't grow up here in the valley... he was still sad. His best memory of this building included his good friend... President Whipple... back when he was our Bishop as a young couple.

So many memories for me. Sad day.

ToOdLeS.ShEiLa

ps. thanks for pointing out the sacred grove picture against the palm tree.

runningfan said...

Becky called yesterday morning with the news. We're so sorry this had to happen!

Lauren said...

Thanks for sharing your pictures. I love that one of the sacred grove. So sad..