Sunday, January 10, 2010

A relaxing Friday drive to Tonopah....Tonopah you say?

I usually pass up these road trips but on friday we went with Don on a work trip to Tonopah. I looked up things to do there ahead of time because I knew we might need to kill a little time. So if ever you are in Tonopah check out the Central Nevada Museum. It is pretty neat & has a lot of stuff. Most of it was about the mining but we did find a little bit of railroad stuff. Since mining involves tracks & mining cars the boys were delighted because they just thought that they were trains. My mental list of things to bring got erased as I was leaving my house so I forgot my camera. Thank goodness for camera phones.
This dozer looking contraption was in the yard of the museum. There was a lot of neat things but it was pretty cold so we didn't linger.
There was an old pump organ...
...an old pipe organ (very cool)......


....and an old train switch (Hans is really into train switches).

There is actually a really big billboard in town that shows where the railroad originally located but there is nothing there but an empty lot. Just to the side of the lot is a casino/bar place that has mining equipment around it's parking lot. These pictures are from there. Knox was not looking into the camera/phone very well. He kept saying cheese but wouldn't look. Silly guy. This is one of the few I got him to look.

This view you can see the mining car a little better.

Not sure what this is but Hans of course said it was a train engine.
A rare look of Knox's face toward the camera.

The End.

2 comments:

Sherri said...

Your little guys look like they had a great time! I've never done much in Tonopah other than get fuel and a bite to eat on the way to/from Reno! Hope you get to do some sewing soon!

Lauren said...

Very fun! Mark is loving "choo choos" right now. Maybe we'll have to make a trip to Tonopah.. but maybe not! :P