This is the cannon. We read a story about how the St George Temple's foundation was built using it. We had not heard the story before so we had to go find the cannon. The short version is they found a spring when they dug the Temple's foundation so the ground was all marshy. So they brought lava rock off the mountain, filled this cannon with lead, built a big tower (see picture on wall behind cannon), pulled it to the top of the tower then dropped it down on the lava for compaction. Yes it took a long time. 18 months actually. There are other neat details from the story like the cannon was brought home with a man from the Mormon Battalion. I don't remember all of the details though.
This is actually in the annex behind the visitor's center along with other historical items.
I totally chopped the top of the Temple off. It was a warm, beautiful day.
Hans even helped take some pictures. So glad my face isn't showing. After seeing the pictures from this day I have decided that baby girl Whipple is suddenly making me look a little LARGE. Maybe its just the angle?
Hans also took this picture of the map of St. George. You can see the temple in the bottom left corner. Nothing like today.
There were a few weddings going on so we have the wedding parties in our pictures. It was a little too hot to stand in the sun so we didn't wait around for them to move.
4 comments:
Reagan, I had no idea you were pregnant!! Congrats!
How I LOVE the St. George Temple, Neil and I were married there. It looks like it was a gorgeous day!
So you're breaking out of the sons only club? Congratulations, I'm so very excited for you!!
Thanks for sharing the canon info. That's amazing. We visited the visitor center not too long ago, but our boys were done by the time we got to the annex.
Girl?!? Yay! That's so exciting!
How exciting! Congrats about the girl!
Post a Comment